Check out what our students recommend for restaurants, attractions, and more! This list is not exhaustive as the DFW area is home to hundreds of businesses and activities. GIAL does not officially recommend or promote any items listed here. Please contact each business or organization directly for more information.
Area Attractions & Activities
- Dallas Farmer’s Market
- Dallas Museum of Art – Once a month they have Late Nights at the DMA which feature fun activities for kids and adults alike!
- Dallas Symphony
- Dallas World Aquarium
- Fort Worth Stockyards – Includes daily cattle drive, historic walking tour, vintage train
- Nasher Sculpture Center
- Rangers Ballpark
- Sundance Square in Fort Worth
- Trader’s Village in Grand Prairie – Lots of special events throughout the year
Parks & Outdoor fun
- Stop by the Welcome desk in the Mahler building for a map of the beautiful hiking/running trail system at the ILC!
- Dallas Arboretum – Can often get free tickets at Park in the Woods Recreation Center if you are a Dallas resident/student, or contact ILC hospitality and you may be able to find a person who would bring you in with them on their pass
- Cedar Hill State Park – A bit pricey for a one-day adventure, but camping or a season pass could be great investments. Hiking/mountain biking trails, swimming area, picnicking and camping.
- DORBA Mountain biking trails – Connect to ILC trails and can also be accessed behind Mountain Creek Community Church
- Joe Pool Lake – free walking/biking/running trail across the dam. About six miles from one end to the other and back, but you can make it into a longer loop by creative mapping. West off of Beltline Road (1382), just south of Eagle Ford Road.
- Fort Worth Botanic Garden
- Fort Worth Water Gardens
Favorite Restaurants & Coffee
- Donut Palace, 106 North Cedar Ridge Dr. Duncanville (next to Papa John’s). They donate their unsold donuts to GIAL on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Los Lupes – Good Mexican food
- Panera Bread in Cedar Hill – About 15 minutes away
- Sweet Tomatoes – All-you-can-eat Salad Bar and they don’t mind if you stay a while! (no wi-fi)
- White Rhino Coffee – Only 15 minutes away from campus; fun place to study or meet for group projects
Where Students buy Groceries
- ALDI, 333 S Cedar Ridge Dr, Duncanville — Discount grocery store, cash or debit only, smaller inventory, bring your own bags
2.9 miles from GIAL
- Cox Farms Market, 1026 S. Main Street, Duncanville, TX — Health foods, fresh vegetables and fruit
4.3 miles from GIAL
- Kroger , 200 W Camp Wisdom Rd, Duncanville, TX 75116
2.9 miles from GIAL
- Sprouts, 362 E Fm 1382, Cedar Hill, TX 75104 — Natural and organic grocery store
8.2 miles from GIAL
- Walmart, 7075 W Wheatland Rd, Dallas, TX 75249
1.8 miles from GIAL
On-campus Social activities
GIAL’s Student Body Association hosts several fun events throughout the school year. The other organizations located on the International Linguistic Center also welcome GIAL students to many of their activities. Check out our events calendar for what is coming up next. Here are a few of the most popular/regular activities:
- Game nights (PBT/ILC)
- Movie nights
- Ultimate Frisbee (twice a week)
- Hiking on trails by the Center
- Wycliffe dessert nights
- Bible studies
- Prayer groups