Admissions FAQ

Visit our master FAQ page for questions and answers from each department. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you still cannot find the answers you need. We are here to help!


Visiting GIAL

May I visit GIAL before I come as a student?

Certainly!  Check out our Visit GIAL page to schedule a visit today!

Does GIAL host a Campus Visit Day event?

Twice a year GIAL hosts a Campus Visit Day event for prospective students, usually in March and October.  We are also happy to arrange a Personal Visit Day for you anytime classes are in session. Check out our Visit GIAL page for more information.  To register or learn more contact Explore GIAL at or phone 972-708-7343.  Our next Campus Visit Day will be held on Friday, March 10th from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.  Click here to register online!


Application Status

Which application form should I use to apply to GIAL?

It depends on what level of courses and how many courses you intend to take.  If you only want to take a few courses, Gateway admission allows you to take up to 9 hours of credit (2-3 classes–graduate OR undergraduate level) at GIAL.  Graduate admission allows you to take an unlimited number of either undergraduate or graduate credit hours. Undergraduate admission allows you to take an unlimited number of undergraduate semester hours and a maximum of 6 semester hours of graduate-level study.

What is Gateway admission?

Gateway admission is a quick way to take a few courses at GIAL.  All we need apart from the application is a transcript with at least 54 undergraduate/graduate credit hours and a minimum GPA of 2.80.  You are allowed to take up to 9 hours of credit with this status.

What is the difference in undergraduate admission and applying for the B.A. program?

With undergraduate admission status you can take any of our undergraduate courses for credit and an additional 6 hours of graduate credit, but you are not necessarily looking to get a degree.  If you want to get a B.A. from GIAL, you will apply for undergraduate status, but you will need to submit two additional documents: 1) a faith/code of conduct statement and 2) a transfer petition (list of classes earned elsewhere – 54 credit hours needed).

What happens if I don’t have enough courses on my transfer petition for the B.A. application?

If you are 12 or fewer hours short of the 54 general education credits required for transfer, you may still qualify for admission to pursue the B.A. program.  GIAL, however, cannot grant a B.A. degree until you have completed the 54 required hours and received approval for transfer of all these required general education classes into your GIAL program. You may complete the “missing” course hours before, during or after your time at GIAL. If you have further questions, contact the Academic Dean at

How many hours of graduate credit can I take with undergraduate admission?

You can take a maximum of 6 semester hours of graduate-level courses at GIAL in undergraduate admission status.  In order to take more than 6 semester hours of graduate-level courses at GIAL, you will need to seek graduate admission status.

When do I need to apply for graduate status at GIAL?

Even if you don’t intend to do a master’s degree at GIAL, if you intend to take more than 9 hours of graduate level credit you should apply for graduate status at GIAL.

What application do I use to audit a course?

You should use whichever application is most appropriate to your intended program of study. See Admission FAQ “Which application form should I use to apply to GIAL?” Once you are admitted, you and your academic advisor can present a petition to audit for GIAL approval.  For more information about auditing, visit our Registrar FAQ: “How to Audit a course?”

Which application do I fill out for an online course?

If you only want to take a couple courses total at GIAL (up to 9 credit hours), you may only need to fill out the gateway application. View Gateway Admission requirements for more information or contact us to speak with our admissions team.


Application Requirements

What are the deadlines for applying and registering?

Visit our Admissions and Registration deadlines page for a complete list of deadlines.

When is my application due?

Applications are due 6 weeks prior to the start of your first course (this includes transcripts, references, etc.). If you miss this deadline, however, you can still submit your application up to 3 weeks before your course starts along with a late fee of $50.

How much is the application fee?

An application fee is required for those seeking undergraduate or graduate admission status at GIAL.

No application fee is required for those seeking Gateway admission status.

The application fee is $50 US dollars for US residents.

For international students (those requiring a visa) the application fee is $100 US dollars.

An additional fee of $50 is required for applications received fewer than 6 weeks before your intended start date.

When is the application fee due?

Your application fee payment should be made at or near the time you submit your application (Gateway status at GIAL does NOT require an application fee).  Application fees are payable online.

How do I pay my application fee?

  • online via PayPal by using the links on the undergraduate or graduate admission pages of the GIAL website
  • can mail your check or money order made out to “GIAL” to GIAL Admissions, 7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd, Dallas, TX  75236.

Your application remains inactive until we receive your application fee.

What is a statement of purpose?

This is a short statement indicating not only why you chose GIAL but what your intent will be for using your education at GIAL.  This can be as short as one paragraph or as long as one page. A typical statement of purpose is 2-3 paragraphs long.

How many references do I need to provide?

You need to supply us with at least 3 non-family references using the form on our website.  The forms should come directly to us from your references

Whom can I ask to do my letters of recommendation?

Non-family members only.  If your performance in undergraduate studies is less than stellar, we would recommend you choose at least two references which could vouch for your ability to succeed academically (former professors).  Otherwise, you can choose people from your work history, church history, or long-time friends/acquaintances. A link to the GIAL recommendation form can be found on the Admission Forms page (first form in the first part) of the GIAL website.

What transcripts must I provide?

You need to provide official copies of all post-high school transcripts where courses were taken toward a degree or pertaining to an expected study program at GIAL.  School records should come directly to GIAL from the school itself or be in an unopened, signed and sealed envelope which you received directly from the school.

What if one or more of my transcripts is from another country?

Academic records from outside the United States should be sent to both GIAL and to the Educational Credential Evaluators (, the school record evaluation service that GIAL recommends, to verify U.S. equivalency of courses taken and grades and degrees received.  GIAL requires a “course-by-course evaluation.”  If you go to ECE’s website, click “Apply Now,” select your country, and then “List of required documents,” you will see which school records to submit and how to submit them to ECE.

How good do my grades need to be to be considered for admission to GIAL?

2.00 cumulative GPA minimum for undergraduate (including approval for BA) admission status.

at least a 2.80 cumulative GPA, preferably, for Gateway or Graduate admission status

What requirements are specific to graduate status at GIAL?

Completion of a B.A. with a 2.80 cumulative GPA or better and acceptable GRE scores (or a waiver – see “How can I waive the GRE?”).

How can I waive the GRE?

This requirement will automatically be waived with proof of a B.A. with a GPA of 3.30 or better from a regionally or professionally accredited institution, or a prior M.A. from a regionally or professionally accredited institution with a 3.00 GPA or better.

Do I have to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

GIAL does not require GRE scores from someone seeking undergraduate or Gateway admission status at GIAL.  For Graduate Admission Status, you will need to take the GRE if you have completed a B.A. (or B.S.) degree and any of the following apply:

a) your undergraduate degree is from an institution that is neither professionally (ABHE or ATS) nor regionally accredited,

b) the cumulative grade point average for your completed B.A. is less than 3.30

c) you have completed a graduate degree at a professionally or regionally accredited institution, but the cumulative grade point average for that degree is less than 3.00.

What scores will I need on the GRE?

The minimum scores we are looking for are a 149 on the verbal portion and a 145 on the quantitative portion.  We DO want you to take the written portion as well but there is no minimum score requirement on that portion at present. GRE scores presented to GIAL should not be more than 5 years old.

Do I have to know what classes I will take at the time I apply?

You do NOT have to know exactly what classes you will be taking, but the more you can tell us about your short and long-term goals on the application (intended major, intended entry semester, intended classes during first term), the more precisely we can advise you during the application process.

What do I need to do to participate in one of GIAL’s joint programs with another institution?

Each program has different requirements. Check out our Undergraduate Cooperative Programs page or our Seminary Dual Degree and Cooperative Programs page for details about each program.


International Students

How long does the application process for an international student require?

You should apply 6 months to a year before you intend to begin classes at GIAL.

Who requires a student visa to study at GIAL?

 Anyone who is not a citizen of the U.S. and has not been granted temporary or permanent resident status in the U.S. will most likely require a student visa to enroll in classes at GIAL.

  • Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participating countries who intend to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor (B) visas, except to undertake recreational study as part of a tourist visit. Students must travel to the United States with student (F-1 or M-1) visas. For more information on the VWP, see Visa Waiver Program.
  • Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. Source:

What are the requirements for an international student application to GIAL?

 A student intending to study at GIAL must meet all the application requirements for the level of admission he/she will require to complete his/her intended program as well as the international application requirements. The three levels of admission at GIAL are:

  • Gateway admission, which will allow up to 9 semester hours of study (2-3 classes) at GIAL
  • Undergraduate admission, which will allow unlimited undergraduate coursework (up to and including a B.A. degree) as well as 6 graduate level semester hours at GIAL.
  • Graduate admission, which will allow study in any undergraduate or graduate level coursework at GIAL, up to and including an M.A. degree.

Of the many requirements for an international applicant to GIAL, what should I do first?

First things first:  submit an online application form and pay the application fee as soon as you have decided to apply.

Then, because these next steps can take awhile to complete, you should: 1) make arrangements and submit recent TOEFL or IELTS scores; 2) submit all your academic credentials to Educational Credential Evaluators (; and 3) submit the same academic credentials to the International Student Center at GIAL that you sent to ECE.

As soon as these are begun, you should work through the rest of the application requirements; submit a statement of purpose; request recommendations from 3 people who know you well; submit the Supplement to Application for an International Student; submit a Medical History form; submit a Statement of Finances (listing all expected sources and amounts of funding from each for your studies at GIAL); submit a copy of the ID page of your passport.  All of these forms can be sent to Links to each of these forms can be found on the Admission Forms page of the GIAL website:

Where do I send my overseas transcripts for evaluation?

Academic records from outside the United States should be sent to both GIAL and to the Educational Credential Evaluators (, the school record evaluation service that GIAL recommends, to verify U.S. equivalency of courses taken and grades and degrees received.  GIAL requires a “course-by-course evaluation.”  If you go to ECE’s website, click “Apply Now,” select your country, and then “List of required documents,” you will see which school records to submit and how to submit them to ECE.


Non-native English speakers

What level of English proficiency is required to study at GIAL?

Non-native speakers of English are required to present proof of their level of English proficiency as part of the application process. The preferred method of proof is submission of either TOEFL ( or IELTS ( test scores from a test date sometime in the past 2 years. Original score sheets should be sent directly from either ETS (in the case of TOEFL) or the British Council (in the case of IELTS) to GIAL. If it’s been awhile since you took the test, you can contact the appropriate agency and request that they send scores to GIAL. For TOEFL, GIAL’s school code is 6605. For IELTS, please have the scores sent to GIAL Admissions, 7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX  75236.


 Post Admission

Am I required to attend orientation?

If you are new to GIAL, or resuming studies at GIAL after an absence of more than one term, you should make plans to attend the orientation associated with the session that you will begin classes. Visit our Orientation page for more details.


Housing & Other Services

Does GIAL have campus housing?

GIAL does not own or operate its own housing but there are several on-campus housing options available to GIAL students. Visit our Housing page for more information.

What off-campus housing options are available?

Our campus is located within minutes of several apartment complexes; 1) Austin Bluff Apartment Homes, 7070 W Camp Wisdom Rd, 972-907-9878, 2) Ridge Parc, 6969 Clarkridge Dr, 972-572-6801, and 3) Rosemont at Bluff Ridge, 8125 Clark Rd, 972-709-9790.  Also, rentals in the area owned and operated by International Linguistic Center employees or related personnel are often available. For more information visit our Housing page.

Is housing included in the cost for GIAL intensive courses?

No, it is not.  Intensive courses at GIAL have a short on-campus component, but the housing costs are not included in the course tuition and fees. Visit our Housing page for information about short-term housing options.

What will my address be if I am an SIL Guest House resident?

Your mailing address will be:  ILC Guest House, 7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd, Dallas, TX  75236.

Whom do I contact about my disability?

Contact the Dean of Students at  In order for GIAL to make reasonable accommodations, it is the responsibility of students with disabilities to establish their ADA status to the satisfaction of the Dean of Students. Request for accommodation must be presented in writing to the Dean of Students at least 30 days prior to registration.

Does GIAL provide student health insurance?

No, we do not.  However, students are required to carry health insurance for themselves and their immediate families during their time of study at GIAL and must show proof of coverage at the time of registration. For more information please visit our Student Health Insurance page.

Does GIAL have a Student Health Center?

No, we do not own or operate our own health center, but GIAL students and their families have access to the SIL International Health clinic facilities during their time on our campus.

Does GIAL provide child care?

Although GIAL does not provide childcare, there is childcare available on-campus through SIL. Visit the childcare section of our Housing & Campus Services page for more information.

Will I need a car while I am at GIAL?

Public transport in Dallas exists, but it is not advisable to rely solely on this for getting places locally (i.e. church, grocery store, home off-campus, etc).  You can rent vehicles through the SIL housing office ( or 972-708-7426) at 50 cents/mile and a minimum of $20/day.  There is an additional tax of 10% for the city.