International Student Admission


An international student may apply for Gateway AdmissionUndergraduate Admission, or Graduate Admission, whichever is most appropriate to his/her intended program at GIAL. Please apply at least 6 months before your intended date of entry: Click to learn more about GIAL’s modular schedule.

For information on GIAL’s English language proficiency requirements or foreign academic credential requirements, please refer to the “Send us your transcripts” or the “Additional requirements for non-native English speakers” requirements on the appropriate admission page. Use the Gateway, Undergraduate, or Graduate admission links in the previous paragraph and then scroll down the page to find the numbered steps to admission.

1. Do I need a visa?

Applicants with legal permanent resident status in the U.S. or who are in the U.S. on a non-immigrant work visa should provide GIAL’s International Student Center with proof of current immigration status, but may then be able to apply to GIAL as if they were U.S. citizens.

International applicants who otherwise will not need international student certification, such as a student taking only online courses, should go directly to the applications page for application/admission information.

If you are unsure whether you will need a student visa to be enrolled at GIAL, read through the introductory information at If you still have questions, please contact the International Student Center office at GIAL by phone at 972-708-7573 or by email at

2. Submit appropriate application form to GIAL

Go to to decide which application status you will seek at GIAL. Use the appropriate “APPLY now” button to access the application form for either Graduate, Undergraduate or Gateway application to GIAL. Use the appropriate “Learn More” button to view instructions and to submit the required general admission documents. Use #2 – #5 on this page to view instructions and to submit the required international admission documents.

3. Submit international student forms

Additional informational forms are required for international students who are classified as non-immigrant students by the U.S. government.

Please submit the following:

  1. Copy of the identification page of your passport
  2. Supplement to Application for an International Student
  3. Medical History form (NOT required if student will be on campus fewer than 90 days)

All forms should be submitted to the GIAL International Student Office (ISC). Forms may be submitted by email, fax, or by mail.


FAX: +01 972-708-7396

Mailing Address:

GIAL International Student Office
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas TX  75236

4. Submit financial verification

In order to be certified for a student visa, an international student applicant (classified as a non-immigrant student by the U.S. government) must verify ability to cover all reasonable expenses associated with living and studying at GIAL:

  1. Read the Instructions for Financial Statement and Certificate of Sponsorship.
  2. Complete and submit the International Student Financial Statement, listing all expected sources of funds to cover your expenses while studying at GIAL. Be sure the total is greater than or equal to your expected expenses.
  3. Submit proof from all sources listed in your International Student Financial Statement:
    1. Personal funds (yours or a family member’s): three consecutive months’ bank statements; or
    2. Funds from an organization which intends to contribute toward your expenses: official minutes (a copy of notes from board or committee meeting) or a financial statement from the organization’s treasurer or other officer; or
    3. Scholarship funds or grant money: an award letter from the institution/organization (including GIAL!) stating the amount and timing of scholarships or grants awarded to you.
  4. If extended family members, other individuals, or organizations (excluding scholarship-awarding agencies) are contributing to your financial support, request that each one complete and submit the Certificate of Sponsorship, agreeing to provide you with $x,xxx amount of funds per month or per year during your time at GIAL. Proof of the existence of these funds should accompany the Certificate, unless it has already been provided.


Estimating costs

The following table should assist you in estimating your GIAL costs. If you have any questions, please contact either Mary Sue Tiffin or Maggie Johnson at

International Student Financial Commitment

GIAL costs
2017-2018    (approximate)
CAL *only
(8-9 months)
CAL* + begin M.A.
(first year)
MA courses for first year
(24 grad credits)
MA courses for second year (12 grad credits – one term at GIAL) Cost of one online class** (3 grad credits)
Student only       (tuition & fees) $11,000.00 $13,000.00 $12,000.00 $6,000.00 $1,500.00
Student only       (living expenses) $9,000.00 $12,000.00 $12,000.00 $6,000.00 none
Estimated transportation deposit                     (one time requirement)*** $1,000.00 $1,000.00 $1,000.00 $1,000.00(If not deposited previously) none
approx subtotal for student $21,000.00 $26,000.00 $25,000.00 $13,000.00 $1,500.00
Plus spouse $9,000.00 $12,000.00 $12,000.00 $6,000.00
Plus one other dependent $4,000.00 $5,500.00 $5,500.00 $2,750.00
Each additional dependent $2,500.00 $3,500.00 $3,500.00 $1,750.00

*Certificate in Applied Linguistics, mostly undergrad prerequisite courses for the MA in Applied Linguistics.

**International students studying in the U.S. on a student visa are permitted to count one online class each term toward their “full time enrolled” status.

***Estimated transportation expense (return air fare) is a one-time deposit with GIAL required for international students studying at GIAL on a student visa which could, in an emergency, be used by GIAL to make travel arrangements for you. This deposit will be returned to you near the beginning of your last intended session at GIAL.

5. International student health insurance

Health insurance is required for internationals who are classified as non-immigrant students by the U.S. government.

GIAL General Policy #221 states, “Students enrolled in on-campus courses at GIAL are required to carry health insurance for themselves and their immediate families during their time of study at GIAL, and must show proof of coverage at the time of registration.”

Health Insurance policies for international visitors who will be certified by GIAL as an international student visa during their studies here, should meet minimum standards.  See our International Student Health Insurance page for more information.

Visit our Student Health Insurance page for a list of some reasonably-priced U.S.-based student health insurance policy providers. International students on a visa should identify themselves as international students when signing up for a U.S.-based health insurance policy online.