The BA with a major in International Service provides foundational training for language and culture learning. Students are equipped with the basic skills and attitudes needed for entry level service to others across language and culture barriers.
Students transfer in 54 hours of general education coursework, completing the upper level courses at GIAL. The program includes language learning, cross-cultural preparation, communications, development of a biblical worldview and a choice of minor (linguistics, world arts, cross-cultural service or teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) ).
Upon completion of this degree students will:
- Have the skills to implement a personal self-directed language learning program.
- Have moderate proficiency in a foreign language.
- Be able to apply independent analysis and critical thinking skills especially to the challenges of international service.
- Have a knowledge of the skills and attitudes necessary to serve across cultural boundaries.
- Be able to effectively and properly communicate ideas and concepts in both oral and written forms.
- Understand the ingredients of a ‘worldview’ and have begun developing a personal worldview that integrates religious faith, intellectual curiosity, global awareness, and an attitude of service.
The Bachelor of Arts degree with major in International Service at GIAL is a 121 undergraduate semester hour (ush) degree (122 ush for Linguistics Minors). GIAL offers the junior and senior level courses required for this degree (67 ush) which include the Degree Core Requirements and the Minor Requirements. Freshman and Sophomore level courses (54 ush) are completed prior to attending GIAL. Click to learn more about the general education requirements needed prior to attending GIAL and GIAL’s Transfer Policy. For more information about this degree and sample plans of study please see our current catalog.
|BA with Major in International Service||Hours|
|General Education (completed prior to attending GIAL)||54|
|Degree Core requirements (International Service major)||49|
|Minor requirements (Linguistics*, World Arts, or Cross-Cultural Service)||18|
*Students completing the linguistics minor (19 hours) will take 122 total hours for the degree.