W.W. “Bill” Caruth III was honored for his community contributions at a luncheon hosted by the Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics (GIAL). The event took place at the Museum of Biblical Art at 7500 Park Lane. Proceeds from the luncheon will be added to the W.W. Caruth III Endowed Scholarship established last year at GIAL by Tolleson Wealth management.
Caruth is a descendent of the pioneer family that established their homestead in the Dallas area in 1848. The Caruths eventually owned 30,000 acres of North Dallas land that stretched from Downtown Dallas north to Forest Lane and from Inwood Road east to Abrams. The Caruth Farm legacy is now the site for some of Dallas’ most prestigious properties, including Southern Methodist University, Uptown, the West End, Highland Park, University Park and NorthPark Center.
Caruth is chairman of the board of trustees for the GIAL. He is also the Chairman of the Hillcrest Foundation of Dallas which was founded in 1957 by Mrs. W. W. Caruth, Sr. (Earle Clark Caruth). Over the years, the Foundation has distributed millions of dollars in grants to charitable organizations in Texas for the advancement of education, the promotion of health, and the relief of poverty. More than 100 grants are given annually to local area organizations.
Along with wife Minnie, Caruth supports the law enforcement community and victims of family violence, both through philanthropic efforts as well as community and political advocacy.
Caruth is a member of the board of trustees of the Nita Stewart Haley Memorial Library and History Center in Midland, Texas. He is chairman of the board of advisors for the Institute for Studies and Identification Technologies and is chairman for the Free Market Foundation. He is a National Center for Policy Analysis Senior Fellow.