All financial aid packages will be administered through the GIAL Financial Aid Committee with applications submitted to the Financial Aid Administrator or designee. Priority for financial aid at GIAL will be awarded first to students enrolled full-time in a program at GIAL. The Financial Aid Packages will be awarded for the duration of a study program if the student continues to meet scholarship requirements. Audited courses do not qualify for financial aid. Should a student fail to meet scholarship requirements, any financial aid designated to the student in their financial aid package would be forfeited. Students taking a break in their degree completion to do research will need to reapply for financial aid when they return to complete their degree. Please confer with the Financial Aid Administrator if you have questions.
Students who are not planning to complete a degree or certificate may still apply for financial aid. They should understand, however, that preference will be given to those in a study program. Any financial aid given to students who are not enrolled in a program would be only for the term in which the application is submitted. A new application would need to be completed if the student plans to attend GIAL for more than one term.
General Terms and Conditions
General terms and conditions of the award are listed below. The specific terms and conditions will be included with notification of a financial package on an individual basis. Student should contact the Financial Aid Administrator immediately upon receiving their individual notification if there is any possibility that they may violate the terms of the award. Failure to abide by the terms may jeopardize eligibility for awards in subsequent study periods.
1. In order to qualify for a financial aid package from GIAL, students must maintain the following during their program of study in order to receive financial aid:
a. Progress toward the completion of their program of study
b. Full-time status
c. 3.0 GPA or better, currently and cumulatively
2. All awards are to contribute only towards tuition expenses.
3. If there are other requirements for specific scholarships in a student’s financial package, those requirements must be met each successive term in order to receive the amount of that scholarship. For example, in order to continue receiving the Townsend Scholarship, students must also maintain an official relationship with a Bible translation organization. Any change in relationship could affect the scholarship and must be reported to the Financial Aid Administrator immediately.
4. Students will be notified if they qualify for continued funding after completing each term.
5. All financial aid will be administered according to GIAL’s nondiscriminatory equal opportunity policy.
6. Scholarship recipients are responsible for meeting IRS requirements and obligations entailed by the receipt of scholarship funds. For any questions regarding the taxability and reporting requirements of this payment, please refer to IRS publication 970. Access to this publication is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf or by calling the IRS, at 1-800-829-3676, and requesting that they mail it to you.
7. Scholarship applications must be submitted by April 1 for the fall term or October 1 for the Spring term.
Scholarships available through this application
The King’s Scholarship
The King’s Scholarship exists to encourage those who are facing financial needs, which could cause them to postpone their studies at GIAL or take a lighter load. Students will be asked to demonstrate financial need as part of the application. The amount of scholarship awards will be based on student need, academic load, academic achievement and the availability of funds, but will not exceed 70% of anticipated tuition expenses.
The Townsend Scholarship
The Townsend Scholarship Fund (TSF) offers financial assistance to qualified GIAL students who have demonstrated a commitment to a career devoted to Bible translation. The amount of scholarship awards will be based on enrollment in a specific program at GIAL, academic load, academic achievement and the availability of funds, but will not exceed 50% of anticipated tuition expenses.
The International Students Scholarship
The International Students Scholarship is open to qualified international students enrolled in one of the programs at the Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics (GIAL). The amount of scholarship awards will be based on student need, academic load, academic achievement and the availability of funds and will usually be in the amount of $750 or less per term.
Submitting Financial Aid Applications
Once you have completed and signed the Financial Aid Application, return it to:
GIAL Financial Aid Administrator
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas, TX 75236
Or email completed form to: Financial-Aid@gial.edu